Family Dynamics and Gender Roles



Power dynamics and roles of men and womyn are so powerful that it takes a lot of strength to step out what society defines as roles for men and womyn. In my class on Class, Caste, and Gender we are learning about gender and how influential societal norms are on everyday life that sometimes you do not even realize you are conforming to societal norms. 

I would like to take a moment to publicly display my affection for John. John: you are truly an incredible person and have taught me so much on how to be true to yourself. In so many instances in our journey together we have defied gender norms and you have supported me in my dreams and desires. Just to mention a few—taking my last name, working together to figure out how to have children and continue working full time, cooking, and taking a leave of absence from your work so that I could complete my Fulbright in India. I hope that I can do the same for you and support you in all your hopes and dreams. For us, it really is about a partnership

John, you have showed me how to be true to myself and our family and to forget what others say. As I sat in class and listened to my professor talk about the many ways society creates the roles for men and womyn,  I felt incredibly fortunate to be in a partnership that is built on the foundation of happiness and nothing more. Thank you John for breaking the gender norms and being confident with who you are and what we want for our family. You are simply the best!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Farmhouse Retreat

Caste System in India

John's World...Sports