Ola Cabs and Doctor's Visit

Today I scheduled an Ola cab to take me to the University for my class today. We got to the end of the street and he pulled over and he confirmed with me where I was going and what the estimate costs would be for the ride. He then shuts off the navigation and closes out my ride and says that the GPS is not working and I should not worry he will take me to the University. To my surprise, I did not go into normal "Brinda" mode and start thinking of a plan. I just sat back and looked out the window. By now, I know the routes you can take to get to campus and I knew we were in the right direction. Then it dawned on me that he stopped the navigation on purpose to skim the top of a big corporation. From Ola corporate, it looks like he took me a very short distance so that will be calculated into his earnings at the end of the night and he can pocket the actual amount I gave him. So I confronted the driver about my theory and he was very honest with me. He said that I was right and that he does this 2-3 times a day so he can make a little more money and that Ola will not figure it out. He said that Ola takes 35% of their revenues and he works from 7am to 11pm at night and does not make very much money. I appreciated his honesty, paid the amount and we parted our ways.



Now the doctor's visit... It has been 2 and half weeks and my knee is a lot better but not completely better. I still can not get my right leg to be completely straight. I asked my mentor teacher about hospitals and the whole system in India. She was great in explaining to me the different kinds and what would be best. I chose a hospital where I can make an appointment and not have to wait in line. I made an appointment to see an Orthopaedic doctor. I had no idea what I was in for, but knew I needed a piece of mind as to what could be going on with my knee. I walk into the hospital and I feel like I am in a very expensive hotel. It was so pristine.


I registered and paid about $15 to have a consultation with a doctor. I then proceeded to the waiting room and waited about 15 minutes to see the doctor. He was concerned that I could not straighten it so he sent me downstairs to get an MRI. At first, I was thinking it would all be covered in the $15. Nope. It was a whopping $245. The good thing is that I can get that reimbursed with my health insurance that I fought so hard to keep back in the US. By the time I was done with the MRI, he had left for the day and I could not get the results read. Now, I have to wait until Monday to consult with him about my knee.
Waiting Room
My Doctor

Dr.'s Office




To be honest, I am a bit bummed about  this whole knee thing. It is hard to be experiencing all these amazing adventures with a limp and I can not be fully myself. John and I have talked about it and if he suggests a surgery, then hopefully it can be when I get home. I am working hard on building strength in my knee and I am hoping for the best news on Monday that will at least get me back to at least 90% so I can hold off any big decisions until we get home. One thing I am slowly learning here is that I have to take it one day at a time and just ride the wave.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Farmhouse Retreat

Caste System in India

John's World...Sports