1st Presentation in India.

Surprisingly, I was really calm and not stressed for the presentation that I had today on US Educational policies from 1960  onward and the impact these policies have on 1 teacher leader in a public school in Boston. 

I wish we had more time to discuss my reflection questions: 1. What data will accurately show student progress at their grade level? and 2. What data is the most effective in determining student’s preparation for the real world? These concepts are applicable globally and everyone in education really needs to be asking themselves these questions. Through my discussions today, it is clear how much politics plays a role in education and how disconnected the policies are from helping students excel academically. I really tried to push students to think about creative solutions.

Through all of this--the preparations, the conversations with my Professor, the discussion with students made me think about New Mission. I have three ideas to help find creative solutions to my reflection questions that center around the students being part of the conversation. When I get back home, I really want to create a student council and an alumni network. Both these groups will give us good data on building curriculums to help students succeed in college and/or in a profession. The last idea is why I am in India to begin with. Creating student-centered, project based learning for students to showcase their learning. The History team has started implemented this idea through our research papers and projects and I want to take it further and completely embed it into my curriculum.
II 
It felt so good to be in front of a class. Upon reflection, it is clear, my calling is to be a classroom teacher. I miss you New Mission and I look forward to incorporating my learning here in India into the History classroom at NewMission.
The boys got a ride home from our neighbour. They were ecstatic!
I swear there were more than 3 people at the presentation:-)

Comments

  1. It's a fun game to guess which one of you has written a particular thing based on word choice or an observation that was made ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Farmhouse Retreat

Caste System in India

John's World...Sports